- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese OR cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 EGGS
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
- 3 cups bread cubes (1 inch) (about 4 slices)
- HEAT oven to 350°F. WHISK cheese in medium bowl until smooth. ADD eggs, 1 at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. STIR IN milk, orange juice, syrup and orange peel until smooth and blended.
- DIVIDE bread among four greased 10-ounce ramekins or custard cups. SLOWLY POUR a generous 1/2 cup egg mixture over bread in each cup; press bread into egg mixture. PLACE cups in baking pan.
- BAKE in center of 350°F oven until custards are puffed and knife inserted near centers comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Yeilds 4 mini casseroles.
Recipe courtesy of http://www.incredibleegg.org/