- When scientists mapped out the bovine genome in 2009, they discovered that cattle have about 22,000 genes; 80 percent of their genes are shared with humans.
- Cows spend 10 to 12 hours a day lying down but their average sleep time is only 4 hours a day
- A dairy cow that is milking consumes around 100 pounds of feed each day
- There are about 350 udder squirts in a gallon of milk.
- Researchers have found that if you name a cow and treat her as an individual, she will produce almost 500 more pints of milk a year
Click the links above for more fun facts about cows and stay tuned for more fun dairy posts this June!