Soup season is offically here and since January is National Soup Month, we wanted to share this hearty stew we have featured in the Machine Shed Cookbook from our very own Shed Head Nick Corbin from the Lake Elmo Machine Shed. The wonderful thing about stews is that you can add your favorite vegetables or meats of your liking!
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons, butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3-4 baby red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Basil to taste
- Oregano to taste
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup barley, cooked and rinsed
- Cook the onions on medium-high heat with the butter and garlic.
- Add the ground beef and brown it, drain the fat.
- Add all other ingredients except for the tomatoes and barley.
- Bring the ingredients to a slight boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for three hours.
- In the last 10 minutes add the diced tomatoes and barley, then serve.
You can find this recipe on page 103 of the Machine Shed Cookbook along with some of our other great soup recipes!