Cure the case of the winter blues by warming up with Machine Shed’s signature Hearty Chili! This has been a favorite among our patrons and staff for many years and is served fresh at the Shed daily. Find other soup recipes, tips and ticks in the Shed’s “Share the Warmth” E-Book!
Cooking Tip: Use tomato paste in place of tomato sauce for a thicker chili.
2 cans (28 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon salt
3 pounds ground beef
24 ounces tomato juice
8 ounces red sweet peppers, diced
2 cans (28 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 Tablespoons dark chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1. Dice onions into large pieces.
2. In a large Dutch oven or deep skillet add ground beef and onions. Brown, then drain off excess grease. Set aside.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the ground beef and onions. Stir together well and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for at least 1 hour.
4. Remove pot from heat. Let chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions or any of your favorite toppings.