Are you on the lookout for a great addition to your Mother’s Day brunch? Then you’re in luck – we’ve got a casserole recipe that you are going to want to try! The best part? You can prep it the night before and simply pop it in the oven the next morning for a hassle-free start to your day. Trust us, you’re sure to make this Mother’s Day one to remember.
And if you’re eager to discover more mouth-watering recipes, we’ve got you covered. Check out our Machine Shed Cookbook, filled with an array of all-time favorites that will have you cooking up a storm in no time. Don’t forget to stop by our gift shop to snag your very own copy, plus one for Mom!
- 1 pound bacon, sliced
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Cut the bacon strips crosswise into pieces that are about half an inch wide. Cook the bacon pieces in a frying pan over medium heat until they’re crispy. Once done, blot the cooked bacon with paper towels to remove any excess grease, and then discard any accumulated bacon fat.
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices, and set them aside for another use.
- Cut the bread slices into cubes, and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk, cheese, and mustard until everything is well combined.
- Gently stir the cooked bacon and bread cubes into the egg mixture until everything is evenly distributed, then spoon the mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight to allow the flavors to meld together.
- The next day, remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake the casserole uncovered in the preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted midway between the center and outer edge comes out clean.