We have officially entered holiday season which is the time for good company, good times, and of course good food. For your upcoming gathering, try out a new dessert recipe that everyone will enjoy – the Spicy Sweet Potato Pie. This dessert will become apart of all your family traditions for years to come!
For other recipes, tips & tricks from our very own Master Baker Cindy, check out our Easy As Pie e-book!
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 bag mini marshmallows
Pie Crust Directions
- Preheat oven to 425⁰.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on water, stirring with a fork to form a ball. Wrap in wax paper. Chill.
- Roll out on wax paper. Place in a pie plate.
- In a small dish, combine brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle half of pecans on crust bottom in pie plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of topping, sprinkle remainder over pecans on crust.
- Place sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add sugar, spices and vanilla. Mix well. Add eggs and milk. Mix all together. Pour in crust.
- Sprinkle remaining topping and pecans over filling.
- Cover fluted crust rim with foil strips. Bake in oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350⁰, and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- After it’s completely cooked, spread 1/4 bag of mini marshmallows on top and brown in oven.