Did you know you can home-freeze blueberries so that you can use them all year long in oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, muffins and cobblers? Fun fact: one cup of blueberries has 80 calories, 3.6 grams of fiber and provides 25% of daily Vitamin C. Below is the best way to freeze these little blue guys, plus we have added two delicious recipes that are a must-try!
How to freeze your blueberries:
- Purchase a fresh pack of blueberries that are completely dry. (Do not rinse before you freeze.)
- Simply place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Freeze berries for a couple of hours or until they are frozen.
- Transfer the berries to a freezer bag and return to the freezer for future use.
- Write the date on the bag. (For best results use within 10 months of freezing.)
Try these two amazing recipes from blueberrycouncil.org!
BLUEBERRY DUTCH BABY PANCAKES
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- Place an 8-10-inch-wide cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat your oven to 425˚F.
- In a high-speed blender, combine flour, milk, and eggs for about one minute.
- Once the oven has preheated, carefully take the pan from the oven and add the butter.
- Swirl the pan to evenly coat the sides and then slowly pour the batter into the cast iron pan.
- Sprinkle the blueberries and rosemary on top of the batter and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the sides have puffed up like a soufflé.
BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, stir oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add butter and blend until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the cake batter: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar; with an electric mixer, beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, half-and-half and vanilla; beat until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture; beat on low speed to combine, scraping the sides with a rubber spatula until blended, about 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium and mix just until well blended, about 30 seconds.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the blueberries.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly on top; press lightly.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 30 minutes before serving.
It is time to welcome back Pork Month here at Machine Shed! We hope you are just as excited as we are to try out all our new recipes. To step along with our tradition, we decided to start off October with the Tangy Tenderloin, but this time with a little twist! Share...
Have you seen the Machine Shed apparel we got in our gift shops this summer? Cute and comfortable, there are t-shirts and sweatshirts in several different styles that you and the whole family will love. With the holidays just right around the corner, what...
At the Machine Shed, we take pride in honoring the American Farmer which drives us to source as much fresh and local produce as we can. Every spring each Machine Shed location plants their own garden that is filled with delicious fruits and vegetables that we utilize...
The annual EAA Airventure is just ‘plane’ fun and we never want to miss out on it! For over 60 years, this event is the World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration which has unique aircraft’s and performances by the world’s best aerobatic performers....
Oh, say can you eat? With the Fourth of July approaching fast spirits are high and taste buds are tingling. Nothing makes a celebration of independence sweeter than a tasty treat shared with all of your friends and family. We have the perfect festive candy bark...
As Father’s Day approaches, it is time to start thinking of special ways to show all of the dads out there just how much they mean to each of us. Nothing warms the heart more than a handcrafted gift made with love from their little ones. We know that all...
Father’s Day is a day devoted to celebrating a real-life superhero in your life, whether that is a dad, a grandpa, an uncle, a husband, or just another man in your life who has made an impact along the way. When Father’s day rolls around every...
**Calling all gardening enthusiasts!**If you haven't been to The Machine Shed Gift Shop lately, you haven't seen our amazing new gardening selection! We have everything from garden essentials and tools to starter kits and lawn decorations. There is a...
There is something about spring that inspires get-togethers and with the warmer weather on its way, it’s time to soak up Spring with a garden party! Whether you’re celebrating a bridal shower, mother’s day, a baby shower, anniversary, or just need a reason to host a...
Hello Spring! The brutal winter finally came to an end and the Spring brings a season of plans and projects. With the warmer weather here, it’s time to revitalize our living spaces with the changing season.To kick off this season of plans and projects we...